Monday, October 25, 2010

Oi rakastan perhettäni koko sydämestäni

Terve!
Oi rakastan perhettäni koko sydämestäni!

Greetings from Finland, the best country in the world! I want to share an experience with you that we had this week.

Elder Mortensen from Arizona came on exchanges and we had a wonderful day. In the evening we planned our day so that we had a meaningful activity for every hour. We were determined to find as many people as we could and teach them. Then we went to bed and woke up into the new day. As we were studying I had a small thought come to my mind that we need to go fix Sister Andersson's light. Sister Anderssson is an 80 year old Finn who's lived thru two wars and feeds us one meal a week. At first I said to myself, 'that's a silly thought, we'll be going to her house later this week. We can fix it then.' But the thought came again as we ate lunch. We discussed about it and decided to change our plans and go fix her light. It was a hard decision. Of course we love Sister Andersson, but we couldn't see how it helped our key indicators, in other words, how it helped us get a baptism. We prayed and asked the Lord to guide us as we followed this 'first impression' type prompting.

We'll we don't really have too many spare electrical parts laying around our apartment so we had to go to a nearby store. (Which was kind of different to be in a store not on preparation day and on exchanges.) We got the part we needed and headed to the cash registers. On the mission we never look for the shortest line to go thru, we look for the best cash register operator to talk to.

It's funny, ever time we're in the store we do this. Usually the worker will take a card but doesn't do anything with it. Well, this time as I saw one young man, and I felt good about him. I didn't know if that feeling was revelation or just random. But I trusted that it was revelation and acted accordingly to it. We only had three things to purchase so it went really fast. I only had time to say to him, 'I know that you have a Heavenly Father who loves you.' and gave him a card.

Well we continued our day and fixed Sister Andersson's light in her kitchen. There were more blessing that came from that which I'll have to tell later. (remember to ask me someday!) But the real miracle is that this Man that we talked to in the grocery store showed up to church on Sunday morning. He stayed all three hours and loved it. We had the primary program in sacrament meeting and it was great for him. He knows a member in our ward and was very well accepted by all the youth. We got his phone number and will meet with him.

This experience taught me a lot about diligence, being bold, listening to the spirit, and how Heavenly Father is preparing people to hear the gospel. I hope it helps you to try a little harder to be a little better. I know that we have a loving father in heaven who cares about us! It feels great to be an instrument in His hands.

Thank you for the many prayers offered on our behalf,

Vanhin Quinn

1 comment:

Nancy said...

What a cool experience:)