Monday, March 9, 2015

week 89

I am in Acoxpan 2! I am training Elder Marklowitz, he is from Aurora Colorado... by Denver and opening an area! (My companion is a convert and the only member in his family. He was baptized a year and a half ago and went to BYU Idaho for two semesters, he is a great guy, pretty funny. He is trying so hard, and we are working hard together! He reminds me a little of Dallin's roomate, Mitch ... remember him?)  It is a lot of work, but it's fun work! We have the Estadio Azteca in our area, the largest soccer stadium in the Americas! It's legit! (The Estadio Azteca (Spanish pronunciation: [esˈtaðjo asˈteka]) is a football stadium located in the suburb of Santa Ursula in Mexico City, Mexico. Since its opening in 1966, the stadium has been the official home stadium of the professional football team Club América and the official national stadium of the Mexico national football team. With an official capacity of 105,064, it is the largest stadium in Mexico, the fourth-largest in the American continent, the sixth-largest in the world and the largest association football-specific stadium in the world.[4]Santa Ursula (Spanish: Santa Úrsula) is a large, middle class suburb in Coyoacan, Mexico City. Most notable about the neighborhood is the Estadio Azteca, the home stadium to the Liga MX México Primera División football club, América. It was the venue for football (soccer) events in the 1968 Summer Olympics; although it was not an Olympic stadium. Around the neighborhood are 2 subway stations, 1 bus stop and the Mexican Federal Highway 95 that serve the area. A few cul-de-sacs, low-rise apartments, gated communities and a Pepsi factory are present in the neighborhood.

There is a lot of work to be done here, not only training, but we arrived and the area book was empty, no investigators with baptism dates, nor progressing investigators, so we started from zero. We knelt and prayed and turned ourselves over to the Lord. We ended the week putting seven baptism dates! and contacting about 50 people in the Street. I really feel like the Lord is guiding us. This is so much different than anything else I have done in the mission so far. President told me, well now you are going to train, enjoy it!

I arrived at church and at 12 (the hour that we start) the second counselor asked me to talk in sacrament meeting... it was fun, then after sacrament the Gospel Doctrine teacher asked me to teach the lesson because he had to leave with his wife, so I grabbed the manual and asked the class, okay what was the last class... so I would know what one to teach... hahahah it was great! We learned about the Prophets! Oh I have a great love for teaching now. I am getting better and better each day, I think it will be a life long process to be able to perfect my teaching skills. I have come a long way, but I have much more to go!

There is much to do here, I love the work.

I feel like this scripture describes my attitude towards the Gospel well:

Mosiah 5:2And they all cried with one voice, saying: Yea, we believe all the words which thou hast spoken unto us; and also, we know of their surety and truth, because of the Spirit of the Lord Omnipotent, which has wrought a mighty change in us, or in our hearts, that we have no more disposition to do evil, but to do good continually.

Lots of Love,

Elder Quinn


Investigators from Pedregal were baptized





 

Should I buy a new suit before I come home there is a place here in my area that sells them for 1200 to 1600 pesos?

On Mon, Mar 9, 2015 at 2:13 PM, Valine Quinn <valinequinn@gmail.com> wrote:
I was reading 19 things not to do in Mexico city and this was one I thought you would appreciate:)

18. Don’t Forget to Hang On When Traveling By Bus

Public transportation is an economical option when exploring Mexico. Be forewarned, however, that some of the local vans, minibuses and even the big coaches zoom fast and the potholes are deep. Prepare for a bumpy ride and hang on tight, or you just might find yourself airborne
Such good advice! :)

Love you , talk to you next week!

No comments: