Wednesday, February 11, 2009

One Week!

Dear Family and Blog,

One week! It’s blasted by, things have been going great. Everyone said that if you can make it to the first Sunday you’ll be fine. I felt like that was the best time ever. There was nothing hard about it! The only hard thing was keeping my energy level up with my new sleeping habits.

My companions are great. We all believe in exact obedience, which is really nice. Vanhin May is from Elk Ridge, Utah and Vanhin Karlsson is from Stockholm, Sweden. But he speaks really good English. He served in the military for a year as a spy! He says it was a good experience but he wouldn’t ever go into the military. He comes from a family of 9 which is HUGE for Sweden.

My district is my companions plus two sisters (sisaret). They are both from Utah and fun. We are blessed to have them. So, I am learning Finnish with them and my companions. Just the five of us. I am defiantly not the slowest one learning Finnish but it is still pretty tricky. It’s really fun to help each other with the language. It feels really good for us to actually be learning the language now.

Sunday was the best day ever! Very spiritual…all my meetings, discussions and experiences. I felt very close to my companions already. One of my favorite things to do is go to the referral center. Today we went just for fun because we wanted to. I sent the missionaries to three people. One with the Book of Mormon and two with “Finding Faith in Christ” DVD. I love it because it really is missionary work, just over the phone.

We spend a lot of time learning the language, studying, and preparing lessons for investigators but we don’t really get chances to put it into action. After you teach someone over the phone about the restoration and then bare testimony and they actually are interested and want to hear more it’s the best feeling ever! It’s true that there are people all over who are prepared to hear this wonderful saving message of joy.

I’ve learned that I can study a lot harder and longer than I ever thought I could. The Lord has already blessed me so much while being here in his service. But its only because he knows that I will use those blessings to help others.

Please thank the Butter and Holts and the candy counter ladies for the scrumptious cookies! I thank Brad Smith for the great letter! And N8, Tiff and Mom for all the advise and info.

I love you all,
Vanhin Quinn

P.S. I guess you want an update on the Finnish…se on hyvä! It is good! I’ve learned a lot and it’s been great!

2 comments:

Abe n Linz said...

I am happy to hear that things are going well and the language is coming. We pray and think about you often.

deb said...

Vanhin Quinn -

This is Sister May, Vanhin May's mom. I just got an email from your sweet mom today and she invited me to your blog - I hope that's ok. I am very grateful that you and Scott and Karlsson are all companions. I love your energy and excitement - I know Vanhin May is being blessed that you are at the MTC at this time. I won't be long but I'll check back on your blog periodically. Our missionary doesn't fill us in as much as you have to say (like examples of the Finnish you are learning) so I loved it!

Keep up the hard work and hug that Vanhin May for me, will you?

Love, Sister Debbie May