Monday, August 12, 2013

Third Week Mexico



Hey, can you believe that today is month three of the mission?


 This was working out at the park this morning. We go here about twice a week to do exercise, but sometimes it rains at night so everything is wet. I have my jacket because it is cool in the mornings. The other days we just do core workouts in the room. I had to tighten my belt one hole this week, and I tightened the strap on my watch one whole notch.

Teaching this week was a little tough, multiple investigators were out of town for vacations, and that is hard.  We also had four others who were progressing, but we had zero contact with all four this week, they just like disappeared, so that was hard.  We also had no investigators come to church yesterday.

 This week we have a goal to commit all new investigators to baptism in the first lesson so they know our purpose.  This is important because many lessons each day people love to hear about the doctrine of Christ, but they don't want to be baptized porque ellos are catolicos, they think that the religion of their mother is better than anything else and they want to follow their mother even though they will admit everything we say is true.

 This happened this week with _______.  She is the wife of a menos activo (less active) that we activated three weeks ago (see photo)  anyways, she has more faith in her mom than in the Lord.  We are praying really a lot for her because she needs to be baptized.  She admitted that everything we said was true.  If she accepts baptism her two children will be baptized tambien, so we pray for her.  She is really great though, Saturday we had an awesome lesson about families for eternity, and she and the mom were crying....the spirit was so strong, so I hope that is softening her heart.  It was ______________'s birthday so they invited us over for tres leches, so good!



Elder McKay with ______________


 After working out at the park this morning we stopped by _______ house  for tres leches. He is a menos activo (less active) that we activated, we are working with his wife and kids, not members. It was his birthday this weekend. He lives on the other side of the park.
This is the front of_______'s house. it is a moderately nice house (I mean, look, he has windows, that's a luxury here)  He designs cabinet systems for laboratories, so he works with auto cad and programs like that.
This is the street ____________lives on.

(We were on line with McKay while he was emailing this week and he answered some questions for us, the following are excerpts from that email conversation)

"I am online'

"No, we didn't find a house yet, everything is ghetto.  The Laundry and dryer are ours!  It's so nice!  That is the one thing I will miss about our apartment here."

"Feet are a little sore each night, but ready to go the next day.  I like the ugly black shoes (Missionary Mall), then the Echos.  I only wear the brown ones on Sundays and to meetings, they will be my nice pair.  Health is good.  I had diarrhea  yesterday but the other Elders said it was common for the peppers we ate, they had it too:)"

"No mail yet, only email, for this I love email.  I'm glad you are sending stuff...I am excited!  The Zone Leaders receive the mail from the offices on Mondays and they give it to us when they see us, sometimes Thursdays, and always on Sundays.  I love love love the Zone Leaders.  Elder Frazier and Elder Yates.  Elder Yates went to Brighton, I think he graduated a year after Shannon.  They are awesome, I love them.

"Yeah a recent convert cut our hair...igratis! (Free) and we receive  our water from some random neighbor of hers..igratis!(free) hahah I have no idea how, but yeah, we use one 5 gallon jug a week.  We drink and cook with 5 gallons a week.  We have two folding tables to study at, it is not bad."
 

About my attitude...I HAVE to be positive because every doubt or negative thought is of Satan and that is how he gets a lot of missionaries to quit.  My Patriarchal blessing says I am here to be an example to the other missionaries and one way I know is through attitude and obedience.  I want to be able to help others....make sense?  Plus, in all reality there really isn't anything to complain about.

I bought this food today; cereal, oatmeal, peanut butter, jam, bread, and some awesome flavors of TANG!!! oh and milk...milk is really expensive!  We get about $120 a month, $1500 pesos every month, I think that is 120 US??

I have to go too! I love you mom! I just watched the video a secure anchor on the ldsyouth site. It is awesome! It made me think of southern Utah, I miss those red rocks! I hope dad is already planning the return trip for summer 2015 :) }}}


Love you, 

Elder McKay Quinn

 

No comments: