Wednesday, December 17, 2014

week 77 New district, Iztacalco!

Here I am!!! wow crazy changes! I am in the CITY!!! IZTACALCO. It is the furthest north eastern area in the mission!
Iztacalco (About this sound ista'kalco ) is one of the 16 delegaciones (boroughs) into which Mexico's Federal District is divided. It is located in the center-east of the district and is the smallest of the city’s boroughs. The area’s history began in 1309 when the island of Iztacalco, in what was Lake Texcoco, was settled in 1309 by the Mexica who would later found Tenochtitlan, according to the Codex Xolotl. The island community would remain small and isolated through the colonial period, but drainage projects in the Valley of Mexico dried up the lake around it.  Politically, the area has been reorganized several times, with the modern borough coming into existence in 1929. Today, all of the canals and farmland are dried out and urbanized as the most densely populated borough and the second most industrialized.  The territory is divided into thirty eight neighborhoods called “colonias” or “barrios” along with 220 major apartment complexes.
There are 99,577 housing units, almost all of which are constructed of cinderblock and concrete. The average housing unit has 4.1 occupants.[4][9] Many of these constructions are in some state of deterioration, which includes sixty percent of major housing complexes as well as sixty percent of a type of housing situation called a “vecindad.”Vecindad (Spanish, 'neighbourhood') is a Mexican term for a building containing several (often low-income oriented) housing units. Originally a form of housing created through the subdivision of vacated elite housing in historic centres in Mexican cities, where rooms around a central patio were let to families who shared facilities (such as lavatories and/or kitchens) with the other tenants. Also, purpose-built vecindades were constructed in the early 20th century to meet the demand for central low-income housing and only resembling the original vecindades by having small units and shared facilities. The term is now used ambiguously

This is why I didn't write yesterday because we had a two zone Christmas conference! We were busy training, and playing! :)

I am still Zone Leader but now in the Ermita Zone... total city! It's flat with buildings and houses and a ton of people! I am in a little flee market sitting in an internet cage that is about 9 by 5 feet with 7 computers!" Hahah

Ermita Zone
Christmas  conference
Look mom! The Hermana Valadez used your Christmas stamp for all 220 missionaries Christmas gift!
 
This was my last night in San Pedro with Elder Herrera.
 Our investigators bought us 40 tacos! (love Mexico)

New District! Iztacalco.

Elder Johnson (compañero) Peterson, Cinturion, Torres, Patey (from Midway) Quinn





Elder Johnson and I with a recent converts family

​Interchanges with Elder Patey, we thought this house was pretty cool!

 

can you send this to his family

I was heating up water this week on the hot plate when the bottom of the mug exploded,
note the bottom on the hot plate :)

Mexican Christmas! This is our investigators Christmas set up! It's pretty poor circumstances here, but the people are so happy!
The ward is great! The Bishop is like 28 and such a hard worker (studied at BYU and is now a lawyer) The church building is the nicest I've seen here in Mexico!  I am loving life!" 

Elder Johnson is younger in the mission. He is doing well. He is from Herriman Utah!
 Lives by Butterfield park! and goes to church in the cove church!

cool stuff

My boys from the MTC are no longer Zone Leaders and are now in my Zone!
Balser, and Reddish

Tacos on our last day in San Pedro!


Elder Batt a good mission friend!



 
 
I will call on google at five on Christmas eve... that is Mexico time. I don't know the difference, I hope it works!

Until then!

Elder Quinn

No comments: