Monday, June 29, 2009

letter home

29 June 2009

Family!

Did you get the pictures I sent home last week?

OK, so where did I leave off in the email? Food? This past week I had rahka. It’s super good. Probably because it’s just whip cream and berries. Haha I’m sure it’s more complicated then that, but that’s what it looked like. It was blueberry flavored.

It is SO HOT here! Yesterday it was 30 degree C before church started. The modesty level goes down as the heat goes up. I guess these Finnish women really like to take advantage of the heat while they can. When we walk through the center, Elder Bryant and I have a song we sing to each other. It’s called the ‘up down’ song, because between all the scantily clad women age 6-66, advertisements, shops and bars, those are the only two ways you can look and still be considered a missionary! A while ago all these ‘clothes’ were on the manikins in the store windows and I thought, who would ever wear that little thing?’ Well, now these are no longer on the manikins, but no worries, the work still go forth.

Leila’s surgery…she still hasn’t had it! And doesn’t know when it will be.:( but…she went to her cabin (Mokkii) for a few weeks with her grandkids. And she read the BOM with them.

DAD thank you so much for your card! It was very considerate of you. I love you dad. After opening it and reading it then savoring it for a minute or two I looked at Elder Bryant and said, J my Dad knows the way straight to my heart!”. Thank you, if you look in the pictures I sent home it’s hanging where I can remember nature, you, and what you said everyday. I call it diligence! I like Moroni 9:6 I feel like the first two and a half lines really apply to us dad, as well as the rest of the verse. I have a firm testimony that as you and I and the rest of this family diligently strive to learn what God wants us to do and then do it, we WILL rest in the kingdom of God. Thank you Dad for all of your support, directly and indirectly. You are a great example to me!

N8, I’m still awaiting your life story….

Camille, thanks for the letters! He’s so cute! Has being parents helped you understand more about God?

Mom, love the thought that as we are kind to others in our actions and in our heart we truly become happy; a constant, deep, humble happiness that comes as a gift from God. Not a glamorous, overwhelming, temporary, selfish carnal satisfaction that deceives our body and mind, takes away light and knowledge, and is ultimately from he who wants our eternal unhappiness.

As we start to not think about ourselves and we think more about being kind to others, yes we come closer to eternal happiness. If we are not trying to do this then something else automatically happens. Because of the fall of Adam and Even we slowly become more and more centered on ourselves. We want to feed and grow our natural man desires. This is where Satan has really tricked us! As we feed our natural man desires we gain sensation of happiness, satisfaction, purpose, accomplishment, status, BUT , these feelings in all history, never have, and never will last! A few minutes, an extra amount, maybe double the time, or maybe close to his or her entire life. BUT eventually every soul will be judged according to this life. And that judgment along with it’s consequences, ie happiness or misery, last for eternity! If your young women, Mom, could realize that, and gain desires to help everyone they see pass that great and eternal, unbypassable, judgment, then they would start to be kind to, not only each other, but to everyone; your leaders, family, teachers, strangers!

This gospel is true; I wish you the best of luck! Rakaudella, Vanhin Dallin Quinn

Good quotes on realizing true happiness: “Who would want to exchange five minutes of thrill in the back seat of a car, for an eternity of happiness.” - Bro Bott

“Satisfy your taste buds for a few mortal years, only to be cast into the fire for an eternity of tears.” Dallin Quinn

Tell Marie that I memorized D&C 6:36 and say it a lot too! Katsokaa minuun. Jokaisessa ajatubesessa;alkaa epailko, alkaa pelotko

No comments: