Monday, August 26, 2013

¡Les Amo de México! (I love Mexico)


 

 


The new pants are awesome!
  (Like the graffiti in the background?  This is outside my house!)
 
2013-08-26
 
Hola familia,

Wow you all had another big week! sounds so fun! I am glad you were able to go to the show case of homes and ATVing! ( you should probably put the ATVs away... it makes me sad to think that they are sitting out unattended) It sounded like a fun week with Anthony there. I love the picture of dad standing in the barn... It is huge! WOW Looks so good! 

Could you send me a recipe of pumpkin bread and pumpkin spice cookies? please? We have a member that want to make it, but she doesn't know how, I told her I would find out how to make it, if I could eat some of it :) hahaha 

Could you send an English mini hymn book? We sing in ingles (English) in  all the mission meetings. ( if you are going to buy one.... preferably blue to match my scriptures... with Elder Quinn in cursive)

I received the package with the pants, they are awesome! I love them! I am going to have you send three more of these and three more of the gray ones at the half way mark.... they are so so so comfortable!

So the excitement here in the city this week was the earthquake! I don't know anything about it because I don't have news or anything. We were ridding in a combi while it happened so consequently didn´t really feel anything. I think it was pretty small. We were in a combi por que we were on our way to the metro station to meet the secretaries. The secretaries at the metro said they felt it big time!

(From Internet on Mexico's earthquake this week, added by Mom)
AP/ August 21, 2013, 10:57 AM

Mexico's Acapulco resorts rattled by earthquake


People evacuate buildings after a 6.2 magnitude earthquake shook Mexico City, Aug. 21, 2013.
People evacuate buildings after a 6.2 magnitude earthquake shook Mexico City, Aug. 21, 2013. / Getty
MEXICO CITY A moderately strong earthquake struck near Mexico's Pacific coast resort of Acapulco on Wednesday, causing cracks in some buildings and swaying buildings in Mexico City.

The U.S. Geological Survey said the quake at 7:38 a.m. (8:38 a.m. Eastern) had a magnitude of 6.2. It was centered near the Pacific coast and about 60 miles east of Acapulco.

Cracks were found in the walls of a university in Acapulco and a cement entrance gate at a local military base collapsed, said Victor Torres Ruiz, the spokesman for the state government of Guerrero, where Acapulco is located.

A second, smaller quake followed 24 minutes later. The USGS calculated the magnitude of the aftershock at 5.3.

Traffic lights went out in the city, causing traffic jams, and fears of more possible aftershocks led some schools in Acapulco to send children home for the day.

Buildings swayed in Mexico City, 170 miles to the north, and some people evacuated office buildings as an earthquake alarm sounded. On the city's main boulevard, one man injured his leg as he rushed out of an office building.

Mexico City Mayor Miguel Angel Mancera said there no reports of damages or serious injuries.

Mexico City is vulnerable even to distant earthquakes because much of it sits atop the muddy sediments of drained lake beds that quiver as quake waves hit.

The magnitude-8.1 quake in 1985 that killed at least 6,000 people and destroyed many buildings in Mexico City was centered 250 miles away on the Pacific Coast.
© 2013 The Associated Press.



I had to go to immigration this week to be fingerprinted for my visa. It took so long! The immigration building is way outside of our mission on the west side of the city. We took metro from Tasqueña to Chapultepec ( you can look that up online ) and then from there it was about 40 min in micro.

 (Metro Tasqueña (sometimes also spelled Taxqueña) is a station on Line 2 of the Mexico City Metro system.[1] It is located in the Campestre Churubusco neighborhood, within the Coyoacán borough of Mexico City, directly south of the city centre on Avenida Tasqueña and Canal de Miramontes.[1] It is a surface station and the southern terminus of the line.[1)



File:MexicoCityMap.PNG
 It took about an hour and a half in total because there are un buen de pesonas in the mornings on the transit, it was fun though. We left at 7 and didn't arrive back at the casa (house) until 3ish. I was with a secretary Elder Bray the whole time, and my companion went to the offices. I was able to better my Spanish with Elder Bray, he knows a lot, and could explain everything really well. He has 16 months and is from Cedar City. So the trip to Immigration was a success! 




We are reporting numbers on Sunday in the Primary room...the table and chairs were mini!


 We had a really successful week with the investigators. All the lessons were really powerful, and I could feel the spirit teaching the investigators. I know that through the spirit is the only way to convert. I love the power of the spirit... what a great gift. We put 5 baptismal dates this week, so we will see what happens.
E______ is J___________'s 9 year old son.  He wants to be a missionary.
I told him he has 9 more years:)


Remember J_____... he has a part member family... they all came to church yesterday and stayed all three hours. they said they really liked it.... a lot better than the previous week. They wanted to take pictures after, so I was glad I had my camera. :) They are such a great family, and J______ has given us two more references, and S_____ has a friend she is inviting to our next lesson, and S_____ wants to invite her hard core catholic mom to listen! We were so stoked! That is exactly how the work of salvation is supposed to work, through the members! It was great! 

This J_________'s family, he is a member, and all four have Fech bautismal!

It has been another awesome week here en La Cuidad de México! (The city of palaces)

Did I mention we found a new casa (house)... tomorrow a counselor to the mission president is coming to approve the house, and then we will more this week or next. I am so excited... it is so nice! roof access and all :) 

Les Amo,
Elder Quinn


(McKay also said it was cooling off a little and that he was going to buy a sweater.  He was having a hard time sending his photos this week and said maybe it was the cheap internet place....5 pesos cada hora, that's like 40 cents an hour:)  He said their new house has a washer, but the owner said we need to work out the details so he didn't know if it worked or what he has in mind.  There will only be two Elders living their, he and his companion and it is at least two times bigger than the one they currently live in. He is excited that it has a deck/roof...'I hope I will see a sunrise or sunset!




Elder Poyner, Elder Perez, (trainer) Elder Quinn, Elder Rojas. 
We were all wearing our glasses on Sunday, but Elder Poyner didn't have any.

He said the time is an hour later than our time. He also said transfers are this week and the Elders with them will probably change.  His language is good, better every day.

Banana Pumpkin Bread  recipe McKay was asking for:
3 ripe bananas, mashed
6 eggs, beaten
4 cups sugar
1 cup oil
1/3 c water
1/3 c sour milk (add 1 tsp vinegar to reg milk to sour)
1 large can pumpkin
3 tsp salt
3 tsp baking soda
2 tsp Cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp vanilla
5 1/2 cups flour (don't add more flour, very moist)
Optional:  add nuts and/or chocolate chips

Bake in loaf pans, 325 degrees for 1 hour
 

No comments: