"We put together this scavenger hunt list for you to look for our favorite Mexican things. We thought it would be a fun way to share our favorite things and make a connection with you. If it isn't too distracting snap a photo when you connect with each thing on the list. Everyone in the family contributed ideas. Enoch had a hard time because everything he thought of had to do with the beach. We kept saying, he's not at the beach!
2. Tree trunks painted white- we still don't know if it is tradition, aesthetics or bug repellant. Let us know if you find out for real.
3. Mega- the Mexican Walmart. I'm partial to it, especially the unrefrigerated eggs, carton milk, fresh tortillas off the griddle, and open meat dishing up area. Try the carne asada!
4. Coconuts- the big green kind that fall out of the tree and they sometimes slice the top off of and put a straw in. This was the best Enoch could do and we said there might be a shot of you finding some.
5. Eat LIMES with everything! (Tiff) My mouth was watering and I gave an envious moan when you talked about street tacos. I love how the street vendors just leave a bowl of communal salsa on the table and everyone shares all day. It is a miracle we don't get sick.
6. The 10 passenger Toyota van (can't remember the model) that they don't sell in the U.S. but I SO need. Incidentally I remember bright green slug bug taxis from my stay in Mexico city 20 years ago, but not the vans. cool. We saw some on google street view.
7. Primary singing 'Follow the Prophet' in Spanish. We learned this at church one week, but all we can every remember is "sigue el propheta."
8.Exxo gas stations.
9. Kindereggs- these are actually german, but the kids always buy them at the grocery store.
10. Buy Pinguinos from a BIMBO vending machine. Papa keeps a dish with all his peso change on the front table. The kids are allowed to take from it, ride the elevator downstairs and buy treats from the vending machine by themselves. big deal.
11. Does the church have a funky smell? Ours has a moldy smell that is sometimes so sour I can hardly stand it. Camille noticed it when she was there too. Just thought I'd throw it out there as a non-food connection we might have.
12. Lastly, another food: Pelon tamarindo candy. The kids have two kinds of tamarindo they like. One is this slime that you squeeze out of a green and red container. The other are these individually wrapped marble ball shaped, chewy candies. The wrapper says Picarin. I don't know.
Those are a lot of foods, but when we tried to think of what you would have in common we thought you would be able to find a lot of those things.
With my new responsibilities as secretary I am always running around doing things to keep the mission running. Today I am spending the day in the policlinica (can search on google maps:policlinica coyoacan, D.F. Mexico) with a sick Elder.
This gives me time to write! This is my first handwritten letter from Mexico! (Yes, I know I am really late:) I wanted to congratulate you on the new addition, Nelson! And I wanted to report on the "Mexico Treasure Hunt" (Loved IT!)
1. Jumex is the best! I had Durazno (peach) for lunch here in the hospital. And you totally 'get what it says you get' 100% real juice. Do they seel it in the U.S.?
2. No write tree trunks in D.E.? Quien Sabe?
3. I shop at the Mega every Friday! I love everything there, they import from the US too! Peanut Butter:) (Mega, Superama, Sorinana are all owned by Wal-Mart)
4. Coconuts everywhere....fresh!
5. If you don't like it....just add more lime:)
6. Yes, green Vans, Busses, Combis, Toyotas, you name it!
7. Haven't heard the primary sing yet.
8. Exxo is on every corner! It's like 7 eleven. (Not a gas station....as far as I understand every gas station is Pemex, government owned)
9. I haven't bought kinder eggs yet....I should try them
10. Bimbo is awesome! Great sweet snacks. I like to buy the cinnamon roll and micro-wave it in the offices for a snack while I'm working!
11. Church smells like Mexico!:) The first two weeks I thought everything smelled bad...now I am just accoustemed:) I realized the other day that I probably smell so bad... I have no idea though:) No one really uses deodorant, so I stopped using it too. It is nice....I don't sweat and my shirts and G's are white!
12. I have seen the candy, but haven't tried those ones. I personally like tueni (like mambas or starbursts)
Thanks for your love and support! I'll try to send photos!
Love, Elder Quinn
To answer Quinn's questions....Yes, I love Mexico! :)
I love you all! les amo!
No comments:
Post a Comment