Friday, September 27, 2013

Week 15 of mission - Office

We have done so much today and have much more to do! Wow 26 new emails is a lot... you're right!

 
 I will write a little but send a lot of pictures with explanations of what we have done today, not much time :/
Eating La Cubana Torta another time! This is Elder Winterton. We are on the roof of our house!
You can see that blue thing on the bottom of the photo is the natural gas tank for showers and cooking.
El Bautismo Saturday!
Me, Elder Winterton, Elder Bray, Elder Bornw, Iban (ward mission leader) Cesar helped baptize, and Rogelio was the one who was baptized!  He is the dad of Iban our ward mission leader! They are all so great.
 Elder Winterson and me.  We are in the attic of the church!  It was so scary.  To fill up the baptismal font is crazy, it is such a process.  We were practically there all Saturday.

1. You have to fill up the Tinaco first (it is a big 500 gallon jug un in the attic of the church)
2. You light the water heater.
3. You let out the water from the baptism two weeks ago, yet we did this because the drain was broken.
4. You clean the baptismal font (pilla)
5. You make sure the tinaco is still filling, because sometimes the wire on the pump shorts out, so you have to adjust it so it worls.
6. You start filling the font, but you can't turn the water on full blast because the hot water will run out.
7. You check the tinaco otro vez.
8. You wait ... and wait.
9. You turn the water on full blast cold and everything because the baptism is going to start in 30 minutes.  It is so much work!  But worth it!  After the ward mission leader spoke and he was comparing the rain we had been getting to blessings.  He said that every rain drop is a blessing in our life's and now the Rogelio was baptized the blessing's would come Bustantel Immediately it started to down pour the hardest rain I have seen in my mission!  IT was so so so cool.

After all was done, I had to go out in the rain and turn the valve to let out the water ... the valve is outside in this man hole. I took off the cover and the whole was filled with water ... I had to jump on in an turn the valve, I was so dirty after ... it was nasty.   I love baptisms though, there is just such a nice spirit, you can really tell that the Lord is pleased that one more of this children has decided to enter into his pathway.

 
Catholic Cathedral in the center of Coyoacan.  This is a really nice downtown square near our house.  Lots of great little places to eat.  Always lots of people when we pass through at night.

 
This is a fountain in the center of Coyoacan.  Elder Winterton, me, Elder Sanabria, Elder Bass

 
Churros, they have so many flavors here.  They fill the center with good stuff like, nutella, cajeta, sweet and condensed milk, berry jam, etc.
I have one with cream cheese and cajeta! Delicious!


There are on about every street corner here in Mexico.  They are called tacos de canasta (basket), they show up at about 7 each morning with hundreds of premade tacos in these baskets.  They sell them from 3-7 pesos each.  Then when they run out of tacos, they pack up and go home.  We love them ... especially Elder Bass.
 
 
This is called Zocalo.  It is down town Mexico City DF.  We went today.  There is this huge square right in the middle of the city, and all around for probably 5 blocks are stores.  They sell everything you could imagine, and it is cheap!  We asked president for special permission to go today because two of the elders in the house wanted to buy new suits to go home in.
 
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Me in the square.  Yeah you know it ... that is down town Mexico city right there.  It doesn't get more central than this.  That is a huge Mexican flag in the background
 
 
This is a street that leads up to Zócalo! There are so many people and so many stores! It is crazy! I bought a sweet watch for 20 bucks... I am sick of repairing my cheap Wal-Mart one so I will just keep it for emergencies.
So many people everywhere! Not a great picture, but so  many people! The richest man in the world works in the building on the left (the building is cut off in the picture) I don't know what this other building is, but it looked cool!  This shows the public transit. These are electric buses, much like the ones in San Francisco. We took Micro and Metro to and from Zócalo, over 5 million people use metro each day.
 

This is the cathedral otro vez in Zócalo, you can see how clear the sky was today.

Centro De Coyoacan.
This is close to our house, and it is very nice. It is like the hip young hangout at night. Presidente also lives pretty close to here. Speaking of presidents house.... I went this week! It is so nice! I felt like I was back in Park City. He has such a nice place! We went for Elder Bass's birthday. We ate lunch and then spent time with the hermana and presidente. They are so awesome, we talked for 3 hours! I felt very blessed to spend some time with them and learn from them. I don't have any photos because I didn't have my camera. I will see if I can get some from the other Elders for next week!

Have any quick questions or anything!? My companion is just finishing up, so I have a minute to chat.
So last night we attempted to sleep out.  Elder Bass, Winterton and me.  We layed our beds out and then after about ten minutes it started to rain!  So sad,  we are going to try again tonight!  This morning the sky was so clear!  When we went running I counted at least 40 stars....that is a lot for the city here!  And I could see the moon, pretty rare sight.
 
 
What did you learn at the office this week?
 
 This week was crazy at the offices with it being the end of the month and all. The end of our finance month is the 25 every month so that is when everything has to be recorded. I am still learning how to do everything,, there is so much! but I love it!
 

Everyone is asking if you loved finances before.
 
Yeah I liked it before, I could see myself studying it more in college... like finance stocks or something...

Are you getting to teach and do missionary work in the evenings?
I am not teaching as much as I would have hoped, but I know this is what the Lord has prepared me to do, and needs me to do right now. We usually teach in the area from about 4-8 each evening and all day Saturday. But this week we have had other things to do some days. The 25th we were here until 8 at night! And also if president asks us to do something we do it right away. There are many times when he will call and need something so we just drop everything and go. For example with sick elders we will take them to and from the hospital and put them up in our house for the night. Right now we have four that we are watching over, we bought them food this morning and everything.... they can't leave the house, so we pretty much do everything for them (shopping). It is fun though... I like it. We are really able to serve the elders a lot!
 
It doesn't look like it is cooling off, you are in shirt sleeves.
Yeah, it was warm today, sometimes it is chilly in the mornings, I may buy some sweaters.

Thanks, love you!  Can you send me a nice beautiful picture of Southern Utah, (it can be small) maybe two or three.  I want to put it up in my office next to my Timpanogas picture:)  Thanks, I love you! Talk to you next week! 





No comments: