Sunday, April 20, 2014

Week 44 Earthquake! McKay turns 19, 24 April

If you want to send McKay birthday wishes for his 19th birthday, 24 April you can email him at mquinn@myldsmail.net.

8:52 am There was just an earthquake! Pretty big one. We are all fine no worries. We were in the bus on the way to the offices, and everyone came running out of their houses and a power line converter box and cable blew up right next to the bus, it was so loud! Wow a little startling, but all is well, no worries.

Love you mom, Elder Quinn
 
On line report:
MEXICO CITY (Reuters) - A powerful earthquake struck Mexico on Friday, shaking buildings in the capital and sending people running out into the street, though there were no early reports of major damage.
The magnitude 7.5 quake was centered in the southwestern state of Guerrero, close to the Pacific beach resort of Acapulco, the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) said.
Luis Felipe Puente, head of the Mexican government's emergency services, said on Twitter there were no immediate reports of damage and the U.S. Pacific Warning Center said it did not expect the quake to trigger a destructive tsunami.
Nevertheless, residents of the capital were shaken by the quake, one of the biggest to hit Mexico in several years.
"I had to hold on to a tree, like a drunk," said Pedro Hernandez, 68, a doorman working in central Mexico City.
The USGS said the quake was centered some 37 km (23 miles) north of the municipality of Tecpan de Galeana in Guerrero. It was relatively shallow, at a depth of 30.2 miles.
(Reporting by Dave Graham and Michael O'Boyle; Editing by Kieran Murray

The other ward had a baptism Friday, but they ran out of water... so they had to baptize in about a foot and a half of water :) They didn't realize it but they left the faucet open all night, so in the night when the water turned on, the font filled up.... we arrived at the church to fill the font the next day, and the church was flooded! :) hahaha *Note the water level in the picture, and my reflection in the water that is spread over the tiles that I am standing on. There was water throughout the church... hahaha. So then We couldn't get it to drain because the sprinkler system cistern was full so we ended up taking buckets to the font and bucketing out about 100 loads of water so that when two people got into the font it wouldn't over flow :) hahaha. Then we spent the next hour mopping the floors and drying out the church! hahaha The adventures of a Mexican Baptism! Love it!

 

This was an amazing sunset!

This was spectacular! I call it the ´´Acid Rain of Mexico City´´


Te Amo´´ made out of an old 20 peso bill!

Tiff thank you! I Love hearing from you! Sounds like all is well! Remember that Mexico treasure hunt you all made me! Well yes you have definitely seen it all! (Sorry I haven't sent pictures) But this week I discovered Jumex Special Edition Fresa (strawberry) It is so good! Pure straw berry juice.)


 

Wow, so good to hear from you all! yes I received the package... I am waiting to open it (SO HARD!) hahaha I guess it is helping me with patience. :) Where are Dall and Becca moving?
 Yes this week was a little more relaxed, meaning we could be in the area everyday teaching... and Baptizing, yes W____ was baptized! She worked so hard for that! I saw the process and the progression that she has made, she has struggled and faced a lot of temptation, but finally was able to be ready for baptism. She came up out of the water a new person, and after the confirmation she was just glowing, she has such a big smile everywhere she goes. I really could see the difference this has made in her life. It is amazing how the Gospel changes lives! We eat dinner with her today, I am excited to talk to her more and help her continue to progress!
I am not sure what I was doing in this photo, but this was the Baptism of W____!
Me, W____, Bishop Dominguez, Torres, Guerrero.

Pure Joy!
Sleep, No mom... you know me :) I hit the pillow at night and I am out, the alarm goes off at 6:15 and I am ready to go! I know i should feel tired, but I do not... I believe in the covenant in the priesthood, and gained a testimony of this here on the mission:
  • Doctrine and Covenants 84:33

    33 For whoso is faithful unto the obtaining these two priesthoods of which I have spoken, and the magnifying their calling, are sanctified by the Spirit unto the renewing of their bodies
This is real! Mom , I am not tired during the day, I just keep working and serving with all my heart, might, mind and strength and the lord provides a way. I haven't gotten sick of anything, and my stomach is fine... that is the blessing. I was trying to think of healthy snacks/breakfasts... because all i eat is bread, peanut butter, and whole grain cereal with milk.... mom do you have any ideas for healthy breakfast/snacks?

The work continues well in the Ward, we have us three (Quinn, Guerrero, Torres), and another set of elders (Kelson and Chavez), we are working really hard and planning more ward mission activities... Firesides, English classes, and mutual nights! It is an amazing ward, and am going to miss it when I leave.... (Who knows when???) While I am here I will enjoy it and give it all I've got! Love the Pedregal Ward!

Fotos to come... with explanations, lots of stories this week... with photos!
Elder Brown came to the offices today... it was a joyous reunion! He gave me the cinnamon bears that his mom sent him! It was so relieving the see him again! We had so much fun together! Oh and we talked about BYU... we are rooming together at BYU after the mission with Ben Sumsion!

Note to Mom and Dad
I love you so much! I just wanted to say thanks for all that you have done for me, and all that you continue to do. I look up to you so much! I wouldn't be the same person I am today without the two of you! I love you! Do you remember where we were one year ago? We were traveling the south pacific, living it up! I loved that trip, and experience! Thank you! Please send me some picks so I can remember those wonderful memories! That would be amazing!

Dad this is for you, I was thinking about the Mission Presisdent and all that he has to do and I concluded that... Being a Mission President is like going on a 3 year scout campout with 200 scouts and being the only adult leader. 

I love you both, Have a wonderful week!

Your son, 
Elder McKay Quinn

No comments: